Computer Consulting Without Compromise

Day 3 – October 4th 2013

This morning we awoke at 6am and headed to the main Mayo hospital in Phoenix. Mayo has a nice shuttle that runs between the different campuses every 30min. After checking in I was notified of some blood work needed to be done before we could start the angiogram procedure. They were testing for coagulation rates mostly amongst other things. After the blood work was done we checked into the cardiac pre-operation department and immediately they went to work prepping all possible areas to insert the angiogram catheter and an IV. I was told that they were going to try and slide it up the main artery in my arm and if that didn’t work it was onto my groin (oh joy). They also marked my legs and feet with a sharpie (I look like a map to buried treasure) where good veins were just in case they needed them in a rush. The total prep took about an hour and once done I was wheeled of the one of the super techy cardiac op rooms.

The op room was filled with tons of amazing gear and giant 70+ inch screens all hanging from the ceiling. With a staff of about 8 people they went to work fast. I was under the impression I would be knocked out for the whole thing when in fact I was totally awake. The arm cath worked well and I was able to watch the whole process on one of the giant screens above me. It’s a strange feeling watching a tube being threaded into your heart. Once they reach the testing point they release Iodine that is picked up on the live X-ray in bright colors. The image was reminiscent of the Pepto-Bismol commercials watching the pink goo coat the walls of the stomach. The test results confirmed what the cardiologist thought was going on with the myocardial bridging. In my case they feel the bridging is not the root cause of the extreme pain that I am dealing with as I have less than 50% blockage. Most people feel pain around 70% blockage and have to have stints put in. What is amazing to me is that the previous doctors didn’t see this and just waived it off as an artifact on the imaging tests. The weirdest part was feeling the tube being pulled out! I felt it all the way down the inside of my arm. After closing the incision they put this neat clear inflatable bracelet on to keep constant pressure on your artery so you don’t spring a leak.

During the recovery my phone rang at it was my insurance confirming they would cover a head/brain CT scan scheduled for Monday morning. This scan is another avenue of testing my Doctors are looking at (more info about this soon). The rest of today was spent recovering and scheduling meetings with a Mayo neurologist and a GI specialist to see if they are able to help in diagnosing me.
The Mayo Clinic is an amazing place and it is neat to see people working together to diagnose out of the box people and their problems. I have started calling Mayo “Disneyland for sick people”.
So far they get an 11 on a scale to 10.

Again THANK YOU for your continued prayer and support during this tough time. We are so grateful for all our amazing friends and family.

Steve &  Shaz

Return to the Mayo Update Home Page

Main Mayo Clinic

Comments are closed.